According to Wikipedia, a necktie, or simply a tie, is a long piece of cloth, worn usually by men, for decorative purposes around the neck, resting under the shirt collar and knotted at the throat.
We know that not all men are alike and your choice of colours and styles differ. It may seem like a small thing, but a tie does wonders to a man's wardrobe - be it for the office or an evening affair. This small piece of fabric adds texture and character to one's outfit and completes your whole look.
Since we're such big fans of the hit US television show Suits and we're really looking forward to Season 7 Part B starting on the 28th of March, we thought it would be a great idea to show you the different characters and (what we think would be) their tie preferences. Read on, you'll be surprised to find out you're probably one or the other.
1. The Prince Charming - Mike Ross
He is the youngest male member of the team. Coming from a tainted past doesn't deter him from getting what he wants. Armed with intelligence and a quick wit, he charms his way through any case and the woman of his dreams (in this case it's Rachel Zane, played by actress and soon-to-be royalty, Meghan Markle). Mike Ross is your average young male with an edgier look. He opts for skinny and standard ties in rich patterns and colours such as blood red and navy stripes.
2. The Big Shot - Harvey Specter
He's extremely confident and as well as extremely successful. Harvey Specter has won almost all his cases- he knows he's one of the best lawyers around. A go-getter and knows what he wants. He dresses impeccably and his taste veers towards the classics- which is evident in his love for vinyls and vintage cars. He's a black-tie kind of guy but he looks equally dashing in a classic striped piece.
3. The Urban Male - Louis Litt
He defies the typical male stereotype simply because he's in touch with his emotional side. He's equally passionate about law as he is about a Shakespeare play or perhaps beautiful architecture. He’s not the norm which is a refreshing reminder to the younger generation not to conform and work hard at being good at whatever you want to be. Louis is more of a standard tie user, but he looks great wearing purple or pastels as well as bold prints and patterns.
So do tell, which Suits character are you? You'll be glad to know we've got you covered now matter what.
If you ask around for tie tips and you'll get a ton of information on it. We’re giving you only the most important pointers to get you on your way to "tie perfection".
- Four-in-hand Knot - If there is a knot that you must remember, it should be this. Oh and you must embrace the tie-dimple. Don't know what that is? Well, the good folks at GQ show us how it's done.
- Length Matters - stylists say that the tip of your tie must hit below the belt line to give you that classic, polished look.
- Black Tie - Always have a black tie handy. No matter what the occasion, it's always a YES in our books. Shop black ties here.
- Tie Clips - Remember one rule of thumb : it goes between the third and fourth buttons of your dress shirt. And it must be fastened to the placket of your shirt. We offer a wide range of tie clips for you to choose from here.
Now that you know all these, take a look at your wardrobe and determine what colours complement it and your personality. Now's the best time to build up your tie collection because we're giving you 15% OFF every purchase of 2 neckties or bow ties this month of March just use code TIE15 upon checkout. Click here to shop TIES.
* Image and Video Credits : Suits cast images taken from USA Network; Video via GQ.